1. Do they specialize in families? I’m going to be honest here. There is an art to posing families in a flattering way. Mom may have insecurities. Kids are different ages, and heights, and personalities. There might be a baby that needs to be held or can’t sit up yet. Make sure the photographer would know how to pose your unique family.
2. Do they have experience working with kids? There’s a secret sauce every good family photographer has that enables her to catch those heartfelt moments. And it also enables her to problem solve quickly when things don’t go perfectly. And trust me, family sessions never go completely as planned. A kiddo may be slow to warm up, or a baby missed a nap, or an older sibling is in a mood. A good family photographer knows how to work around these situations and capture beautiful memories regardless.
3. Do you like their photography style? Whether it’s light and airy, dark and moody, earthy, film, true to color, can you see this style in prints around your home? On your holiday card? In an album?
4. What is the investment? The amount a photographer charges varies based on the location, years of experience, education, and equipment. Photographers also have to consider their time communicating and corresponding with their clients, travel, time at the actual session and editing and delivering the photos.
5. Do they shoot at any location? Most family photographers have recommended spots where they can trust the light and backgrounds. Some will photograph in your home where others will not. Depending on what you’re looking for, this is an important question to consider.
6. Will they help style your family? Choosing the right fabrics, lengths, colors, and style of clothes can make a huge difference in whether or not your love your photos. Selecting a piece mom will feel confident and comfortable in and coordinating with the rest of the family takes your photos to the next level.
7. Are they available? This seems like a no brainer, but it is important nonetheless. Do they have availability to take your photos? Are they available to answer questions, consult on locations, or make other suggestions?
There’s so much to think about when choosing the right photographer, so I hope you found this resource helpful! Let me know what you think in the comments!!